Kommos


Less than 1 km. towards the coast from Pitsidia lies Kommos. The sandy beach here stretches some 7 km. all the way round the coast to Agia Gallini. There is only one beachfront Taverna at the most southerly end. In the summer months, beach umbrellas and beds are available, but Kommos is mainly just unspoiled golden sandy beach one of the best in all Crete.

Behind the beach there is a recent excavation of a Minoan Harbour Town and later a Greek Sanctuary. The original settlement can be traced back to 3500 B.C. although the main period of Minoan habitation was between 2000-1200 B.C., where substantial buildings were constructed including domestic dwellings, ship sheds and warehouses. The Greek sanctuary was in use between around 1000 30 B.C. during the Geometric, Archaic, Classical and Hellenistic Periods

It is believed that ancient Kommos was the Harbour Town for the Palace at Phaistos, which lies about 5 km. to the east. A segment of stone road has been discovered heading in the direction of Phaistos with evidence of wheel ruts!

Greek mythology has been shown to mix history with mythological stories. As excavations unearth new finds, more mythology is translated into actual history.

Just off the shore at Kommos, there is a very small islet (actually just a large black rock) known as Volakas. Mythology tells us that it is the stone, which Cyclops Polyphemus hurled at Ulysses, who had heroically pierced the Cyclops' only eye with a stake. Homer writes that many of the ships of Menelaos were stricken on the black rock whilst returning from Troy. Only six were saved purportedly those with a black stem.

It is just possible that the rock was once joined to the mainland and was the point of a pier or breakwater for the Minoan ships, which are known to have plied their trade along the coasts of Crete and beyond.

Video



A video with some spectacular views of Kommos beach...